The 10 Best Things to See in Dubrovnik

14 Comments

Dubrovnik: More than Just Game of Thrones

To be honest, I never knew much about Dubrovnik until my cousin insisted that we add this to our summer travel adventure. I knew that Croatia had beautiful sights, but at the time, I wasn't thinking much about traveling to that region. I had fallen in love with Northern Europe, not the Mediterranean. Yet here I was, completely astonished and in love with a city. The food, the people, the sea, the city. All of it was amazing. So here is some of the very best Dubrovnik has to offer.

Stairs to Lady Pi Pi
10. Lady Pi Pi: it's not very often that I put a restaurant on my top ten lists, but this place was so good and with such an enjoyable view that I recommend it to everyone visiting Dubrovnik. Sitting on top of a hill in Old Town, Lady Pipi offers a delicious selection of meats and seafood prepared on an outdoor grill, providing a shaded and beautiful view of the city while dining. Truly one of the best restaurants that I have been to in Europe.

9. History Museums: there are a variety of museums that Dubrovnik offers but it seems like they are always changing. One of the most popular is War Photo Unlimited which not only showcases photographs from Yugoslavia's bloody wars and genocide, but also wars around the world to show people the barbarity, and not the glamor of war. There is also the Museum of the Croatian War of Independence. There are a variety of museums that educate people on the gory aspect of war as well as Croatia's dark past.

The Harbor
8. Beaches: part of the beauty of Dubrovnik is the water, so why not find a beach to swim in some of the bluest water around. Though they're crowded and it seems nearly impossible to find a place to lay in the sand, the beautiful beaches with a view of an ancient city and deep blue water are worth the overcrowding.

7. Rector's Palace: visit this old palace to get a good history of the city. Offering some unique views of the city while narrating it's story, this palace has a lot to offer. And it is a nice escape in the summer from the heat.

The Placa
6. Placa: one of the main walkways of the city connects two of the main gates. Always busy with people on a stroll, this main street offers some great views but also an enjoyable walk. Stop along the way for some ice cream to cool off in the summer heat or head for a sunset to view the changing colorful sky.

5. Pile Gate: the main gates are inevitable to miss, this is one of them. In order to enter the city you have to enter through one of these gates. This huge gate are impressive and intimidating, but maybe that's the point. It almost seems like a portal into a new world. And of course it is one of the filming locations of Game of Thrones.

The City Walls
4. Old Town: inside the city walls is the old town, which is brightly colored thanks to its white walls, marbled floors, and brightly colored rooftops. The tiny winding streets seem like a maze, each street letting you discover a new secluded nook within this beautiful city.

3. Kayaking: there are plenty of islands around Dubrovnik and what better way to explore them by kayak. There are a variety of operators that offer you kayak tours around the city. And why not, it would be a unique way to see the city and a once in a lifetime experience kind of thing. I mean, how often do you get to kayak in the Mediterranean around a medieval wall?

Fort Lovrijenac
2. City Walls: in the grueling heat and humidity, stairs and no shade does not sound that appealing. But the views of the city from the walls are absolutely beautiful and worth the sweat. The walk around the city gives different perspectives of the nearby islands as well as different parts of the city. It is one of the most beautiful city walls that I have seen in Europe.

1. Fort Lovrijenac: ok so this is not everyone's top choice on the list, but the reason why I put this as number one is because it gives one of the best views of old town. While the city walls are great to see the old town from above, you can never really get the city walls and the old town in one vantage point mixed with the beautiful blue of the ocean. That is why the walk to the fort is worth the trip. It gives the best views of everything that the city has to offer.

Beaches. History. Nature

You Might Also Like

14 comments:

  1. I miss Europe! definitely have to go back one day. Thank you for sharing beautiful summer pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Game of Thrones really sold me on it but I've wanted to go here for a long time, ever since my parents showed me their pics from a few years back. Looks awesome and has such fascinating history too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Croatia ❤️❤️❤️ Awesome photos!! Love how you itemised this post it's easy to read❤️ Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always wanted to go here. I want to see where Game of Thrones was filmed for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! So many famous scenes when you walk around the streets.

      Delete
  5. I visited Dubrovnik on a port excursion on my Mediterranean cruise. As a result, we didn't spend enough time there and didn't see much besides the Old City. I'd love to go back again and explore some more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Old City is great, but Dubrovnik in a day is not enough!

      Delete
  6. I've never been to dubvronik yet. But it surely looks lovely. I heard good things about the sea and the beaches. Didn't know game of thrones was shot there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even watch Game of Thrones until after I got back from Dubrovnik, it is just a beautiful city!

      Delete
  7. Dubrovnik looks charming!I like visiting old towns and the pleasant surprise of discovering beauty in hidden alleys. Even if I'm not a fan of Game of Thrones, I sure want to explore this town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is worth going, there just seems to be a lot of Game of Thrones tourists now compared to before. A great summer city!

      Delete
  8. It's so funny now that everyone equates Dubrovnik with GOT! I don't even think GOT existed when I visited (showing my age, haha!) But is really is a beautiful part of the world, walking the walls around the city was one of my favorite things to do and really gave you a sense of what life was like in the old days, when soldiers wandered the walls to protect the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Well I hadn't watched the show until after I visited Dubrovnik, so I didn't know much about the TV show, just that the city is beautiful!

      Delete

Comments? Questions? Advice? Let me know: